New and noteworthy links from around the web for 17 -23 October:
- International bodies to discuss IP securitisation, leasing issues – UNIDROIT and UNCITRAL meeting that might have a profound impact on how IP gets treated as an asset class.
- What are the alternatives to patenting my ideas? Strategies for Intellectual Property Protection in a Down Economy – Guest post by Karen Dana Oster on alternatives around IP.
- A Catfish by Any Other Name – NYT profiles a dispute over catfish in the US south, which goes through some large scale strategies when dealing with international competition.
- Change in Fair Value Accounting rules and IP – Thoughts on intangibles on the balance sheet in light of the crunch.
- German court kills google image search for Germans? – Perfect 10 redux in Deutsch: thumbnails and search.
- PRC IPR for MBAs – Great quote on China IPR strategy from Rouse speaker at MBA event: “You cannot come to China with a fixed business model around your IPR – you have to think creatively.”
- Lawsuit Claims Mapmaking Firm Owns Your Neighborhood – Map data copyright at issue in creating maps of what people consider a neighbourhood (as opposed to census data lines). Important in targeting search such as real estate.